Critical to high student achievement are high-quality teachers. In fact, the quality of teachers, staff, and principals beat out all other factors in a 2018–2019 study by the National Center for Education Statistics that studied how parents choose schools when they have multiple options.
In fact, a highly qualified teacher…
- Is the single most important factor in student achievement as well other important outcomes (Ladd and Sorensen 2016)
- Accounts for a significant portion of the variation in student achievement (multiple studies)
Grow Your Teachers to Improve Student Achievement
To boost student achievement, prioritizing teacher efficacy should be on every school’s agenda for 2022. When teachers can be their best, most effective selves as educators, students will benefit greatly. So what can you do?
- Give educators continual improvement in their knowledge and skills around education best practices. Offer them continued innovation in learning strategies and differentiation.
- Provide teachers with learning tools and software that make their jobs easier. If you can move an existing pen-and-paper system to a digital format, your teachers will save time and energy.
- Implement a support system for teachers. Listen to their concerns, and pair them with a mentor if needed. With mental health and burnout among the top reasons for teacher attrition, supporting them in their roles is more critical than ever.
- Boost each educator’s skills through instructional coaching and personalized professional development. Help them identify areas for instructional improvement while acknowledging the areas in which they excel.
Create High-Quality Instruction Through Feedback
SchoolMint Grow is a teacher coaching and classroom observation platform that makes it easy to give and receive feedback and bring out the best in every teacher. As an all-in-one digital platform, Grow eliminates the need for manual processes, boosts your efficiency, and can help you see trends in your coaching practices. With Grow, you get:
- Quick feedback and time-stamped notes
- Lesson plan feedback and video integration
- Customizable rubrics and forms
- Personalized action steps
- One place to manage it all
SchoolMint Grow facilitates the Get Better Faster approach to teacher coaching, and you can read more about it here: Get Better Faster: What is It, and How Does it Work?
While instructional coaching can help you advance your teachers in their profession, coaching alone is only half of what’s required to boost student outcomes. There’s another half to consider: the relationships you, your teachers, and other faculty build with students.
3 Ways to Boost Student Achievement
Here are three things you can do to build healthy, strong relationships with students and boost their academic outcomes: